Saturday, January 14, 2006

No Coach

I am only doing this because Lando hates when I talk about rock n' roll, but I have to say that the new We Are Scientists album that just came out Tuesday is good to very good. I've listened to it about 4 or 5 times all the way through and I've already found myself humming several of the songs to myself while doing things like making coffee, showering, and walking down the street. In addition my brother and I went down to The Buffalo Icon and saw them play live last night. Great show, they rocked the party that rocked the party. Also of note the members of the band sat directly in front of me on the plane from NYC to Buffalo yesterday afternoon. I briefly talked to the lead singer/guitarist about the unseasonably warm Buffalo weather. Also on the flight was the Iona Men's Basketball team and Larry Quinn of the Sabres.

Now for the 3 of you actually read this blog and the 0 of you who care about this kind of thing and only really care about seeing sexy photos of sexy actresses, We Are Scientists are thought of as a "buzz" indie band by certain bloggers who have opinions on such things. I guess because of all the attention they have recently gotten at different MP3 blogs, they are a buzz band, but whatever who gives an effing ef. I would recommend them, they sound good and have several fun catchy tunes.

MP3 for download - inaction

****Update****
I didn't want to forget about the opening act last night, Oxford Collapse. They were very good as well. Check out some more info and MP3's at Spin.

On to our NFL franchise currently being run by two senior citizens. I really hope that Marv hires someone who has been a head coach and has had some success, ie - won a playoff game or two. Jim Haslett is the top name out there right now and I guess it makes sense. He wants the job, had some brief success in New Orleans, and is not 80. His detractors will point out that New Orleans has pretty much sucked the last two or three years, and are traditionally underachievers. But, I ask you, what is the difference between Haslett and the other candidates being mentioned? Not much in my opinion. I guess you can point to Jim Fassel and the fact that he went to a Superbowl, but he just does not do anything for me. If he was so great why didn't we hire him two years ago?